Monument record SFT 004 - St George's Church (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9578 6820 (74m by 72m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||STOWLANGTOFT, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Stowlangtoft Church, `on site of camp' (S4). `Stands within a double trenched camp'(S6. `Stands within a double entrenchment' (S1)(S2). `Within the entrenchments of an oblong camp. The circumvallation consisted of a double vallum and fosse. The works are most clearly defined on the E & N sides of the churchyard; on the E the inner fosse is 3ft deep and 15ft wide, the outer one is the same depth, but only 10ft broad; the depth is retained on the north, but the foss narrows to 8ft. The road from Pakenham to Stowlangstoft borders and has destroyed the S side of the camp, leaving a scarp nly, 6ft deep. A spear-head and coins have been found here' (S3). `No evidence of any defensive works surrounding the church'. Stands on a prominent knoll. Any traces to N destroyed by development (S5). See also Med.
- <S1> SSF5124 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Suffolk (6th ed), 1957, 31.
- <S2> SSF1067 (No record type): Barker, H.R.. Barker H R, West Suff Illus, 1907, 335.
- <S3> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 591.
- <S4> SSF15226 (No record type): OS, map, 1844 & 1904 25" maps.
- <S5> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL96NE20, October 1971.
- <S6> SSF21915 (No record type): Suffolk Tourist, nd (circa 1820), 110.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 19 1995 12:00AM