Monument record BNH 009 - Iron-Age trapezium shaped double ditched enclosure
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8659 7770 (100m by 100m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BARNHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Enclosure: trapezium shaped, double ditched.
N side 86m, E side 96m, S side 76m, W side 74m. Entrance on E side. 900 sq m over NE corner excavated August 1978. Outer enclosure ditch 7.2m wide x 2.9m deep; inner ditch 7.2m x 2.8m. Slight remains of an inner bank. No evidence of palisading or internal features. A small clay-lined pit was found at the tail of, or under the inner bank. Near upside lip of inner ditch a pit was discovered which contained an articulated human leg. Pottery not very abundant, mainly IA coarse wares. A few sherds with cabled rims resembling West Harling types. One sherd of 'Belgic' butt beaker. Also BA flintwork and Beaker pottery.
C14 date of 100 +/- 80 b.c. (HAR-2902) from charcoal in primary fill of inner ditch. Details in (S3).
See also BA.
See also (S4)(S5).
- <M1> SSF42782 (No record type): Excavation file:.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87NE29.
- <S2> SSF21917 (No record type): Summary Report, PSIA, 34, 1979, (3), 218.
- <R2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP ASJ 41.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <R3> SSF18721 (No record type): SAU, APs ACY 17, AGP 11-13, AJH 1-6, AJL 4-6; photos AJV-AJZ.
- <M3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP, ASJ 41; SAU ACY 17, AGP 11-13, AJH 1-6, AJL 4-6.
- <S3> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Martin E, SCCAS, 'Settlements on Hilltops: 7 Prehistoric Sites in Suffolk'. EAA 65, 1-22.
- <M4> SSF42785 (No record type): Photographs: AJV-AJZ.
- <S4> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH, 34(3), 1979, p218.
- <S5> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 1 2018 11:40AM