Monument record TRS 003 - Black Hill Barrow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8867 7423 (33m by 31m)|
|Civil Parish||TROSTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Black Hill - Round Barrow.
1937: Very fine large mound, almost resembling a castle-mound (S1). 1958: 120 feet in diameter, 10 feet high. Formerly in a plantation which has been cut and replanted (S2).
1959: Circa 9 and half feet high, diameter 49 paces. Flat wide top, no hollow. Many flakes, a few burnt flakes. Many rabbit holes. Fir trees encroach on circumference. Approved for scheduling (S3).
1962: A large bowl barrow 31.0m in diameter and 2.5m in height. There is no trace of a ditch. Although badly overgrown and planted with young firs, it is in good condition (S3).
1976: Towards the edge of a coniferous plantation and is planted with trees, otherwise is in good condition, circa 35.5m in diameter, circa 2.78m high (S4).
1981: Some trees in plantation have fallen with consequent uprooting and slight disturbance of surface of barrow. Some rabbit action, especially on N side (S2).
1986: 'Tree covered; plantation, including mound, recently thinned. Many animal holes in mound including some of fox/badger size, upcast from them shows mound to be of sand. Approximately 35m diameter, 3m high. No sign of ditch'. Barrow TRS 002 50m to SW (S2).
1991: (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) paid to look after monument. Trees growing on large mound to North. On private track.
1998: Scheduled area revised to include TRS 002 - details in (S2).
Features visible on Lidar. See associated files.
- <M1> SSF46663 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF7192 (No record type): Grinsell L V et al, Notes on Suffolk Barrows (Ms, NWHCM) and photo, 1936.
- <M2> SSF46664 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <S2> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87SE8A.
- <S4> SSF18033 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), 1976, Barrow Survey.
- <S5> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 622.
- <S6> SSF10481 (No record type): Lawson, A.J., Martin, E. & Priddy, D.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy, The Barrows of E Anglia, EAA 12, 1981.
- FSF23013: WORKED OBJECT (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (7)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF14022)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (MWT) (Ref: DOE (MWT)) (ESF13684)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF14014)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by Grinsell L V (Ref: Grinsell L V) (ESF13319)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by Hewitt H D (Ref: Hewitt H D) (ESF13891)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Wardale C F) (Ref: OS (Wardale C F)) (ESF13972)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF14000)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2020 11:02AM