Monument record EUN 002 - Round barrow on Rushford Heath; Millsail Plantation
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9424 8117 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||EUSTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round barrow in Millsail Plantation.
1905: Shown in exact centre of `Millsail Plantation' on OS 25 inch map. Plantation named after shape of plantation rather than presence of mill? 1969: Round barrow, 90 feet diameter, 6 feet high. Covered in mature silver birch (S1).
1976: Spread under brambles and bracken in woodland. Height circa 1.39m, diameter circa 26m (S2).
1981: Very difficult to find as whole area now afforested. Barrow covered in bracken and brambles and old silver birch. Land to W cleared of trees forpig farming.
1986: Dimensions as in 1976. E half of mound looks more spread than W. Barrow covered in bracken and brambles with a few mature birch and young oak (S1). 1991: Marked at risk as trees growing on it (S3).
- <M1> SSF42642 (No record type): Barrow survey:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF10870 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E A, 1976.
- <M2> SSF42643 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S3> SSF21759 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc (Paul Edwards) survey, table of results, 1991.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jul 2 2019 4:57PM