Monument record SEN 001 - Two moated sites adjoining All Saints Church (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3290 8277 (92m by 99m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ALL SAINTS AND ST NICHOLAS, SOUTH ELMHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Moated site, rectangular, 80m long x 50m wide, adjoining the SW corner of All Saints churchyard. The site is now levelled and ploughed (since at least 1975); the moat is mapped on the 1:10560 OS map which also shows an internal pond, now gone. The moat is shown as unoccupied on the 1841 Tithe Map. Fieldwalking of the interior area has produced C13-C17 pottery and oyster shells (S1). Area shown hatched on map.
Air photographs show site levelled, 1971 (S3).
January 1998: Scheduled together with SEN 002 (S4) although mapped definition different to HER. Thought to be former site of rectory (S4).
See also IA, PMed.
- <M1> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. (S4).
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: NAU ADX 57 (1975); SAU AGR 10 (1977); CUCAP BEQ 52, 54 (1971).
- <S1> SSF7257 (No record type): Hardy M J, 1985.
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 616.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs BEQ 52, 54, 1971.
- <S4> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. English Hertage Scheduling information.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 9 2007 3:29PM