Monument record SEN 002 - Church Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 330 828 (188m by 135m)|
|Civil Parish||ALL SAINTS AND ST NICHOLAS, SOUTH ELMHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Rectangular moated site, 120m long x 75m wide, adjoining the NE side of All Saints churchyard. The NW corner of the site is occupied by a farmhouse and farm buildings. The remainder of the site is covered with grass and trees. The OS map marks this as 'Church Farm on site of Manor House'. Barker states that Church Farm 'stands on the site of a moated Grange, once occupied by a branch of the Throgmorton family' (S1).
January 1998: Area scheduled, together with SEN 001. Details in (S3).
2007: monitoring of footings within the farmhouse were negative (S4)
- --- SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. SAM file: (S3).
- <M1> SSF36133 (No record type): AP: NAU ADX57 (1975); SAU AGR10 (1977).
- <S1> SSF50188 Bibliographic reference: Barker H R. 1911. East Suffolk Illustrated. 151.
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 616.
- <S3> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. English Heritage Scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF53313 Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 2007. Monitoring report. All Saints South Elmham: Church Farm, All saits and st Nicholas south Elmham.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 30 2012 11:44AM