Monument record PKM 030 - Oval enclosure, gravel quarry.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9406 6882 (44m by 79m)|
|Civil Parish||PAKENHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Oval enclosure, gravel quarry. S of Baileypool Bridge. Within PKM 014 general area. Now quarried away. ?Avoided by trackway ? to SW and also next to ring ditch, PKM 029 to W. Entrance on E side (S1). Loveday claims small ring ditch axially placed within interior (R1). See also PKM 029, 031.
1976: Oval enclosure, destroyed by quarrying. Appeared to have an entrance in one of its long sides (S2).
1978: Oval enclosure, destoryed, possible entrance, adjacent to ring ditch. C55m long by 15m wide (S3).
- <R1> SSF10622 (No record type): Loveday, .. Loveday, 1985, 99.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP ADE 21 (1961), 23, VS 40, 43.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP ADE 21, 23, VS 40, 43.
- <S2> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 1 2018 2:43PM