Monument record KNE 001 - Hut Hill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9546 8023 (101m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||KNETTISHALL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round Barrow on Hut Hill. Scheduled with round barrow in Brick Kiln Covert (KNE 002). 1962: A mound about 7 feet high and 100 feet in diameter on an isolated knoll on the heath. There is a suggestion of a ditch (S1). 1969: 30.5m diameter, 2.1m high (S1).
1976: On Knettishall Heath. Rough grass and bracken, one large fir and saplings. Mound height 2.39m, diameter circa 30m (S2).
1981: Mound as stated 7 feet high and 100 feet diameter. One large pine with roots exposed by sand erosion, liable to fall. Some deciduous saplings. E side grass with bracken, cut by footpath. Slight depression on summit. Ditch mentioned in 1962 not really visible (S1).
1986: Dimensions as in 1976. Traces of ditch to N. Tangential footpath to E, 2nd footpath running E-W over mound. Single mature pine (barely alive) and likely to cause damage when it falls. Mound otherwise covered with grass, brambles, bracken, coniferous and deciduous saplings (S1). 1991: Maintained, situated in private wood and not visible from road. Accessible to public.
February 1999: Scheduled area revised (S1).
- <R1> SSF10476 (No record type): Lawson, A.J., Martin, E. & Priddy, D.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy D, The Barrows of East Anglia, E Anglia Arch Report 12, 1981.
- <M1> SSF43623 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF10870 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E A, 1976.
- <R2> SSF18403 (No record type): SAU, AP AEC 7.
- <M2> SSF43624 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <M3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume (photograph).
- <S3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVI, 92 (photograph from the ground of Hut Hill).
- <M4> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Knettishall Heath County Park Management Report, Sussams K,.
- <M5> SSF43627 (No record type): October 1995.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13956)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13834)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Ref: DOE) (ESF12992)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13596)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14512)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2019 6:40PM