Monument record ACT 006 - Acton Hall

Please read our .

Summary

Acton Hall a modern farmhouse sited within the remains of an elliptical 12th century? moat located (very close to) N of All St. Church (S1).

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 8919 4545 (89m by 88m)
Map sheet TL84NE
Civil Parish ACTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

At Acton Hall, 2 miles E of Melford, N of All Saints church, a portion of an elliptical moat remains in the form of a horseshoe (S1).
Shown on OS 1:10560 1928.
14/9/1950: the remains of a moat correct as shown on field sheet. It is in a poor condition and is partly overgrown with weeds. Dry.
17/10/1950: applies to an ancient ditch or moat which surrounds the E side of Acton Hall (S2).
TL 8916 4546: On site of Acton Hall (formerly recorded as CRN 00747), OS 1: 10560 1928. No information whatsoever could be found about this site. A modern farmhouse and its gardens now occupy the position, 14/9/1950. Nothing remains of this old hall, 17/10/1950 (S2).
Manors listed for Acton: 1066 & 1086 : 12 caricates held by Thane Siward of Malden & Ranulf Peverel respectively. Acton Manor recorded in 1301, 1360, and 1905, and sub manors recorded as Clerbeck from 1210 to 1530; Rokewodes from C14 - C20; Leys from C13 -C15; Tolemach from 1213 - 1534. (S1)
Roughly circular moat with an entrance causeway on the W side shown on the 1839 Tithe Map (S3). This also shows a house in the interior, to the N of the existing house. Farm buildings are shown on the N side of approach road, where larger farm buildings are now shown. The field between the moat and the church is named as `The Berry'. All were owned by Earl Howe but occupied by John Underwood.
Manor held by the de Hodebouille family by the late C12 (?the builders of the moat). Acquired from them in 1311 by Robert de Bures (S4). Alice de Bures, heiress of the family married Sir Guy de Bryene (d.1386). Her household account books for Acton 1412-1413 still exist (S5). House ceased to be used by a resident lord in the mid C15. Manor acquired by the Earls Howe through marriage with the Jennens family of Acton Place.

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Tracing and notes from (S3).
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 604.
  • <S2> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL84NE18, 1951.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Manors of Suffolk, Vol 1.
  • <S4> (No record type): Redstone V B (ed), The Household Book of Dame Alice de Bryene, 1931, repr. 1984.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Apr 8 2019 10:36AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.