Monument record IKW 007 - Post-medieval icehouse.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8122 6272 (71m by 60m)|
|Civil Parish||ICKWORTH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ice house marked by OS (S1)(R1).
1990: Post-medieval icehouse, in use until 1908. Except for the tunnel, the icehouse was in a good structural condition. It was situated 1200m from the house and sited on the side of a hill on a raised mound sheltered by trees, close to a large pit. Tunnel entrance 3m long by 1.2m wide of English bond, with the remains of a barrel-vaulted roof. Circular chamber, red brick header bond, originally cement-screed and is approx 3.5m in diameter with a domed top. 1m above ground, at least 3m down but exact measurements are not known. The source of ice was from nearby ponds and the River Linnet. The icehouse went out of use in 1908. There was a small section of wall extending from the outer end of the east facing passage, which is at an angle of about 30 degrees south east to the rest of the wall possibly to deflect the sun. It was said that the icehouse was used to store meat - venison - shot in the deer park (S2)(R2).
- <S1> SSF10197 (No record type): Kendrick, E.R.. Kendrick E R, National Trust Archaeol Record Card, E Anglia, site no. 284.
- <R1> SSF12895 (No record type): OS, 6 inch map.
- <M1> SSF38635 (No record type): National Trust Estates file: site no. 284.
- <S2> SSF1171 Monograph: Beamon, S. P. and Roaf, S.. 1990. The Ice-Houses of Britain. p.94, p. 399, fig. 49b.
- <R2> SSF58562 Graphic material: Potter, N.. 1981. Survey and drawings.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 26 2021 10:19PM