Monument record TYN 046 - A ring-ditch is visible on aerial photographs as a cropmark, circa 90 metres to the north of Little Covert in Trimley St Martin parish.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2659 3788 (22m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARTIN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ring ditch, circa 18m wide, traversed by TYN 013. Other possible ring ditches occur circa 50m W and NW although these are probably part of TYN 013 (S1)(S2).
Also possibly part of TYN 067 (S3).
A ring-ditch is visible on aerial photographs as a cropmark, circa 90 metres to the north of Little Covert in Trimley St Martin parish. The cropmark of the ditch is between 1.5 and 2.5 metres wide, with a maximum diameter of approximately 22 metres. It is probable that it is the remains of a Bronze Age barrow. The ring ditch does not appear to have any positive association with the field system TYN 013 and appears to be traversed only by cropmarks of natural frost cracks. However it may have enclosed upstanding barrow eathworks when the field boundaries were laid out. (S4, S5)
- <S1> SSF18712 (No record type): SAU, APS ACX 18,19.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: SAU ACX 18,19; CUCAP CJG 3.
- <M2> SSF45656 (No record type): Hanging Cabinet: (S3).
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP CJG 3, 1979.
- <S3> SSF92 (No record type): Air Photo Services, 1:2500 A14 Trimley Improvement AP plot, 1995.
- <S4> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachan D, AP, CP/96/16/1, June 1996.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2637/8 (EXC 16929/01) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2637/10 (RHF 1933/13) 30-JUL-1980.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 21 2021 9:38PM