Monument record SEC 008 - Earthworks of deserted crofts visible on aerial photographs
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2983 8323 (320m by 414m)|
|Civil Parish||ST CROSS, SOUTH ELMHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Earthworks of deserted crofts (tofts)visible on AP of N entry into the former Greshaw Green, also some showing on E side of Green, discovered pre 1972 by J K St Joseph (S1).
Field boundaries, crofts and a possible moat of possible medieval date are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of the 1940s, to the east of Home Farm, St cross South Elmham parish, centred approximately on TM 299833 (S2). As described above, the greatest concentration of visible features is to the northern end of the former Greshaw Green (Grazer Green on Hodskinson's map of circa 1783), but it is likely that some medieval earthworks were located within the green area, particularly those at the junction of Debb's Lane and New Road. Other earthworks within this area may be the remains of field boundaries and farm yards and tracks of post medieval date, as marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884 (S3). The possible tofts mentioned above are visible as small ditch defined enclosures abutting New road, centred on circa TM 29908332, but no well defined crofts are visible. The possible moat, or rectilinear ditch defined enclosure, lays to the west of the tofts and is abutted by a number of them.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP AQK 58, undated; BLP 51, 31 January 1973.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs : CUCAP AQK 58, BLP 51.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/930 4159-60 16-OCT-1945.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. Circa 1884.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2016 11:41AM