Monument record SLY 028 - A possible Later Prehistoric or Roman house site in Shotley parish
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2211 3599 (77m by 83m)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTLEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Ring ditch, circa 20m diameter, occurs in the north-west corner of SLY 004 rectangular enclosure (S1)(S2)(S3). NB Originally recorded at NGR TM 22113599.
A possible Later Prehistoric or Roman house site is visible as a cropmark within enclosure SLY 004 on aerial photographs, centred on TM 22123599 in Shotley parish. The ring ditch is sub-circular and measures around 17m in diameter at its widest point. An entrance is visible on the eastern side of the ring ditch. The location of the ring ditch in the corner of SLY 004 and the clear entrance way suggest that the cropmark represents the remains of a house site of Later Prehistoric or Roman date. The ring ditch also appears to overlap with another ring ditch visible within SLY 004. NB The house site is also described within SLY 004.(S1) (S4)
See SLY 006 for the Later Prehistoric or Roman field system.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ADS36) 11-JUL-1961.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP ADS 36; SAU AGC 17.
- <S2> SSF18450 (No record type): SAU, AP AGC 17.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ADS34) 11-JUL-1961.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. TM 2236/33 (1832/394) 31-JUL-1980.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2014 4:24PM