Monument record SLY 033 - Martello Tower 'M'
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2514 3415 (100m by 101m)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTLEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
One of the 29 E Coast Napoleonic towers built 1810-1812, larger and later than those on the S coast.
1860, the tower and its associated battery were re-armed as a result of renewed fears of french invasion, the gunns werefinally withdrawn from the tower in 1880 (S4).
1977: This is one of two within the recently closed HMS Ganges training establishment, once linked together by other C19 fortifications (parts of which are discernible in the accretion of modern naval training works but not worth scheduling). Tower 'M' is one of the smaller type with small moat. The exterior brickwork is quite good but has patches of cement rendering. Windows blocked. On top a huge water tower and tank almost twice the height of the tower. Interior : entrance to both stairways blocked up. One third of the first floor is of York paving over the magazine below; the rest is of rotten wood.
1981: Exterior brickwork cracking badly in some places and wall bulging to W. Cement screeding round top falling away. Some weeds and small shrubs growing on brickwork. Moat weed filled.
1985: Water tower still in use. Large crack in E side of wall of original Martello tower. Several generations of repairs to brickwork. Needs repointing and much more. Brambles, etc growing around top of tower (S1). 1991: Bottom and second tier intact (S2).
- <M1> SSF45968 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF21764 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc, (Paul Edwards) Survey, Table of Results, 1991.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachan D, AP CP/96/14/13, June 1996.
- <S4> SSF54491 Unpublished document: Millward J. 2007. An Assessment of the East Coast Martello Towers.
- <S5> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE.
- <S6> SSF60065 Bibliographic reference: Sutcliffe, S. 1972. Martello towers.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jun 30 2021 9:57AM