Monument record FLN 001 - Boys Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 309 862 (92m by 97m)|
|Civil Parish||FLIXTON (NEAR BUNGAY), WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Boys Hall (site of) TM 3095 8620 on OS 1:10560 1957. At Boys Hall is a moat of irregular plan with a cross channel dividing the enclosure into two parts. From W Jervoise, Flixton, a retired gardener from Flixton Hall "The original Boys Hall was a gamekeeper's lodge, this was demolished prior to 1914 and a summerhouse was erected for Flixton Hall. When the Hall was sold in 1932 the summerhouse was removed and the island planted". The moat is water and reed filled and both islands are thickly covered; a minor surface scatter of modern brick is the only visual evidence of former buildings. The plan suggests this feature to be ornamental rather than defensive 18/3/1968. Published survey (25 inch) correct 3/1/1978 (S1).
Irregular, isolated, unoccupied (S2).
Moat wet, quantities of dead wood choking moat in some places. Interior of both islands overgrown and supporting 15 year (approximately) trees, limes or poplars. Letter from Mr Clark stating that an application by him to the DOE for a grant to maintain the site was turned down. He says he has no interest in preserving the site and intends to fell the trees and bulldoze 'the hole' in. Suggest swift action needs to be taken to prevent this monument being destroyed (S3)
Leased at time for shooting (S3).
1991: Water in moat badly polluted. No public access as sewage works between road and site (S4).
March 1998: Scheduled area revised - details in (S3).
- <M1> SSF46720 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM38NW12, 1978.
- <R1> SSF5156 (No record type): Dickinson, Little Guide to Suffolk, 1957, 156.
- <S2> SSF18208 (No record type): SAU (West S E), undated.
- <S3> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2020 11:14AM