Monument record FLN 002 - Abbey Farm (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 316 863 (190m by 191m)|
|Civil Parish||FLIXTON (NEAR BUNGAY), WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
The remains of the convent chapel of the Augustinian nunnery consist of one part of one wall with an arch. Founded 1258 by Margery de Croke, it was surrendered by the last prioress Elizabeth Wright in 1528 (S1). 1981: Moated site under pasture (A/P agreement). It would appear that only one window remains and jamb of another in S wall of S range. Another fragment of masonry remains 8m E. Window partially bricked in. Med walling still visible in farm house. Mr Hinsley has owned land for 26 years and during this time only one window has existed. He has recently removed ivy from the monument (S1).
Priory of St Mary and St Katherine ... founded by Margery, widow of Bartholomew de Crek, in 1258 for a prioress and not more than eighteen nuns and dissolved in 1537 (S3) from (R2).
The farm house on the site incorporates part of the nunnery chapel. The greater part of the moat remains (S2) from (R3). Part of one wall with an arch remains (S3) from (R4).
The farm house is completely modern, J Baird, F1 27/3/1968 (S2). 1991: Area around small remnant of Priory maintained as lawn (S5). March 1998: Scheduled area revised - details in (S1).
- <R1> SSF21723 (No record type): Suckling, History of Suffolk, volume 1, 190-196.
- <M1> SSF46721 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF10393 (No record type): Knowles, D. & Hadcock, R.N.. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales (1st ed). Knowles D and Hadcock R N, Medieval Religious Houses in England and Wales, 1953.
- <M2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: NAU AYD 25, 26; SAU CEK 15, 16; CUCAP BEQ 69.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM38NW6, 1977, ill.
- <S3> SSF11753 (No record type): NAU, APs AYD 25, 26.
- <R3> SSF5160 (No record type): Dickinson, Little Guide to Suffolk, sixth edition, 1957, 21, 156.
- <R4> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, Buildings of England, Suffolk, 1961, 194.
- <S4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BEQ 69.
- <S5> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <S6> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TM 315 863, JFV 3-6, 20/7/1992.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13689)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (JB F1) (Ref: OS (JB F1)) (ESF13327)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS 25 inch and 1:10560 (Ref: OS 25 inch and 1:10560) (ESF14653)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS 25 inch revised (Ref: OS 25 inch revised) (ESF14708)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2009 9:49AM