Monument record LKH 063 - Earthwork enclosure, Lakenheath Warren
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7773 8010 (288m by 295m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
One of four earthwork enclosures on Lakenheath Warren - see LKH 064-066. `TL 776 801. Slightly trapezoidal enclosure of about 11 acres bounded by a bank 30 to 50 feet wide and not more than 2 feet high with no trace of an entrance. At SW corner a low narrow bank runs SW for 120 feet and then fades out. Excavations in 1970 on the S side near the SE corner revealed an adjoining ditch, which was originally at least 2 feet deep but no finds' (S1). Also traces of ridge & furrow in interior on same alignment (S2). First recorded by Watt in 1940 (S2)(R1). Probably Med. Mapping approximate after (S2).
Field survey as part of Brecks Survey failed to locate the enclosure - thick grass heath and semi-formal Scots Pine plantation which had recently been thinned by machine (tyre tracks and felled trees evident)(S3). March 1996: Relocated and plotted on HER maps after (S4).
A terrier of 1649 requires the warrener to 'support and relieve the said coneys in the time of winter with hay and all other necessary feedings' and it may be the four internal rectangular earthwork enclosures on Lakenheath Warren were used to grow crops. Each enclosure is about 11 acres, is bounded by low banks of no more than 2 feet high and has traces of ridge and furrow. The banks are of sand, small flints and lumps of chalk (S6).
2010: The Breckland Society's survey of The Warrens of Breckland mentions four enclosures with low surrounding banks on the warren, which may have been for the cultivation of fodder for the rabbits (S5).
See LKH 174 for Lakenheath Rabbit Warren
- <R1> SSF22889 (No record type): Watt A S, `Studies in the Ecology of the Breckland IV', Jour Ecol, 28, 1940, 43-48.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SE21.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S2).
- <S2> SSF4215 (No record type): Crompton G & Taylor C C, `Earthwork enclosure on Lakenheath Warren, W Suffolk', PSIA, 32, 1971, (2),.
- <S3> SSF20806 Suffolk County Historic Environment Record: Sussams, K.. April 1995. Brecks Survey. SAU, Sussams K, Brecks Survey, April 1995.
- <S4> SSF21103 (No record type): SCC, APs, 1:10000 vertical cover, 38 86 116, June 1986.
- <S5> SSF50315 Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society.
- <S6> SSF58553 Unpublished document: Mason, A.. 2009. The Archaeology of the Warrens of Thetford Forest.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Taylor C C (Ref: Taylor C C) (ESF15619)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by RCHM (Taylor C C) (Ref: RCHM (Taylor C C)) (ESF13048)
- Event - Survey: Survey by RCHM (Taylor C C) (Ref: RCHM (Taylor C C)) (ESF14533)
- Event - Survey: Survey by The Breckland Society - The Warrens of Breckland (ESF26143)
Record last edited
Mar 2 2021 2:51PM