Monument record BRD 014 - Brandon Bridge (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7834 8692 (45m by 56m)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Site of C16 bridge (replacing earlier bridge to N - BRD 113) destroyed in 1932: Four arches spanning width of 30 yards. Arch rings built of stone, rest of brick.
1953-1954, when a modern bridge was erected. Presumably overlying earlier causeway (see BRD 113).
1940: A wooden bridge to allow two-way traffic erected on W side (S2). 1949: Described as "brick with stone arch rings. Four arches, cut waters on each side. Damaged by unsuitable traffic, one arch replaced by steel girders, c 16th C" (S1)(R1). Built, following act of 1670, on land and subsequently river diverted through it (S2).
Formerly grade II listed building.
Presumably original footings survive?
for C14 records - see Med.
- --- SSF10079 Bibliographic reference: Jervoise, E.. 1932. The Ancient Bridges of Mid and Eastern England. 112-113.
- --- SSF59804 Bibliographic reference: District of St Edmundsbury. 1974. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78NE2.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S2).
- <R1> SSF5240 (No record type): DOE, Mildenhall Rural Dist Suff, Jan 1949, 2.
- <S2> SSF10562 (No record type): Lingwood, B.A.M.. Lingwood B A M, Brandon Notes, 1978, 6.
- <S3> SSF59814 Index: DoE. 1973. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
- <S4> SSF59859 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1959. 6" 1959.
- <S5> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 NKB 18-FEB-72.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 24 2021 1:56PM