Monument record BRD 028 - Ploughed out round barrow surviving as a ring ditch of unknown date.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7349 8631 (32m by 32m)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ploughed (out?) round barrow surviving as ring ditch, circa 30m in diameter (S1)(S2). Possible one of (with BRD 004 & 006) `three rings detected from air. Visible at ground level' marked incorrectly (?), at TL 7300 8632, by Lady Grace Briscoe in 1951 (S3). Further information in G Briscoe archive? 1979: `A ploughed and spread bowl barrow situated on the crest of a gravel ridge; the mound now has a maximum diameter of 33.0m with a maximum height 0.4m (S3).
Part of group of 8 barrows & ring ditches, also see BRD 2,3,4,6,29, 30 & 31.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs NZ 62,64,1954; CC 21, 1949; HJ 31, 1952.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: AJM 9,11; CUCAP NZ 62,64, CC 21, HJ 31.
- <S2> SSF18880 (No record type): SAU, APs AJM 9,11.
- <M2> SSF45474 (No record type): G Briscoe archive:.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78NW2D, 1951 & 1979.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2019 11:22AM