Monument record BTY 002 - Dodnash Priory (site of) of the blessed virgin
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1049 3570 (314m by 109m)|
|Civil Parish||BENTLEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Dodnash Priory, Augustinian, founded 1188, dissolved 1525. Re-used material is visible in the present Dodnash Priory Farm (S1)(S2)(R1)(R2). Scheduled area comprises a large pond, probably remains of fishponds, a fragment of flint wall on its side and an area of lumps and bumps extending over parts of two fields. An AP suggests walls but nothing definite (S1). 1981: Area under pasture. Whole site extremely wet. Pond filled with reeds and several wildfowl nesting. The fragments of flint wall is reduced in size along its width, say 3 x 2 x 5 ft as against 3 x 3 x 5 ft in 1975. It would appear that masonry has been chipped away recently, with several flints lying loose at the base (S1).
1991: Said to be falling, unmaintained and at risk. `Needs protection - wall being vandalised. Only one small part of a wall remains' (S3).
- <R1> SSF10363 Bibliographic reference: Knowles & Hadcock,. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses. 136.
- <M1> SSF41571 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF50048 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH, Suffolk, 2, 1907, 99-100.
- <R2> SSF5483 (No record type): E Anglian Magazine, circa 1924.
- <S3> SSF21759 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc (Paul Edwards) survey, table of results, 1991.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Apr 18 2015 3:19PM