Monument record FTN 002 - Cropmark of a pair of ring ditches
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5150 9583 (48m by 55m)|
|Civil Parish||FLIXTON (NEAR LOWESTOFT), WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Two ring ditches, circa 20m and 27m in diameter, noted on NAU AP ACW 6 1975 by D A Edwards.
January 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
The cropmarks of a ring ditch and an oval enclosure, potentially representing the remains of Neolithic and/or Bronze Age barrows, are visible on aerial photographs (S2-S4). The site is centred on TM 5150 9583. The northern example is 24.5m in diameter and the southern one is incomplete and is oval in shape, measuring at least 25m by 18m.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 2nd January 2014.
- --- SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, AP, TM5195/HXT3.
- <S1> SSF11691 (No record type): NAU, AP ACW6, 1975.
- <M1> SSF41185 (No record type): AP: NAU TM 5195/A/ACW 6, 1975.
- <S2> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. Norfolk County Council NLA TM5195A/12/ACW6-7 12-JUL-1974.
- <S3> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service NLA TM5195/367/HXT5 02-JUL-1996.
- <S4> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. CUCAP BYJ1-2 29-JUN-1976.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 18 2014 3:35PM