Monument record SOL 012 - Site of probable Bronze Age round barrow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4983 9676 (24m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||SOMERLEYTON, ASHBY AND HERRINGFLEET, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
Ring ditch circa 20m diameter. Remains of rectilinear field boundaries also obvious - see SOL 011 (S1)(S2)(S3).
January 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
The ring ditch described above is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs (S4)-(S6), centred at TM 4983 9676. Although undated, it is most likely to represent the site of a Bronze Age round barrow, and to form, with other ring ditches to its east, a linear barrow cemetery SHER SOL 045. There is some indication of an inner ditch and pit within the outer ditch.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 15th January 2014.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BYB 27, 1975.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP BYB 27; NAU TM 4996/E/AFP11.
- <S2> SSF11718 (No record type): NAU, AP TM 4996/E/AFP11, July 1976.
- <S3> SSF50153 Bibliographic reference: Email. Michael Page to Colin Pendleton, 18 Aug 2010, with Aps.
- <S4> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. NLA 9895/TM4996A-B 28-JUL-1975 (EHA).
- <S5> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service CUCAP BYB27 24-JUN-1976.
- <S6> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service NAU TM4996/E/AFP11 08-JUL-1976.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2014 9:08AM