Monument record BLN 013 - Cropmarks of a probable round barrow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5002 9656 (29m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||BLUNDESTON, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Causewayed ring ditch circa 25m diameter with entrance at N. Probable pit visible at centre. Adjacent ring ditch BLN 014, S of other ring ditches, Somerleyton 3,4,5,12 & 13.
January 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
The cropmarks of an incomplete or causewayed ring ditch, potentially representing the remains of a Bronze Age round barrow, are visible on aerial photographs (S1, S3-S4). The ring ditch is centred on TM 5002 9656 and is 24m in diameter and is either penannular (open to west) or the western part is obscured by the field margin. This probable barrow and the nearby BLN 014 are likely to form an outlier group to the cemetery to the north (SOL 045).
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 15th January 2014.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BXH 1.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP AP BXH 1; NAU TM 4996/E/AFP11.
- <S2> SSF11717 (No record type): NAU, AP TM 4996/E/AFP11, 8th July 1976.
- <S3> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. NLA 9910/TM5096F 08-JUL-1976 (EHA).
- <S4> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. NLA 9910/TM5096H 08-JUL-1976 (EHA).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2019 1:38PM