Monument record BLN 026 - Cropmarks of a possible hengiform monument or barrow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5089 9628 (29m by 31m)|
|Civil Parish||BLUNDESTON, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- RING DITCH (Unknown date)
- PIT (Unknown date)
- RING DITCH (Late Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 701 BC?)
- HENGIFORM MONUMENT? (Late Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 701 BC?)
- ROUND BARROW? (Late Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 701 BC?)
- OVAL BARROW? (Late Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 701 BC?)
One ring ditch of circa 33m diameter, surrounded by possible series of pits. Within cropmark complex BLN 007 (S1).
January 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
The cropmarks of a possible causewayed concentric ring ditch, possibly represent the remains of a late Neolithic or early Bronze Age hengiform monument and/or barrow, is visible on aerial photographs (S3). The site is centred on TM 5089 9628 and consists of a faint ring ditch, surrounded by an oval causewayed or segmented ditch, although a faint continuous negative cropmark does surround the ‘pits’, so they may represent differing depths within a wider trench. The cropmark is blurred and faint and only clearly visible on one set of aerial photographs (S3) and therefore the archaeological nature of the site may be considered uncertain and it is feasible that some parts of it relate to geological features.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 31st January 2014.
- <S1> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TM 5196/HXV l, 2, 5 & 7, 1 July 1996.
- <S2> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, AP, TM 5096/ HXV15.
- <S3> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service NLA TM5196/367/HXV1,5, & HXT11, 14 02-JUL-1996.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 18 2014 3:21PM