Monument record WRE 007 - Medieval to post medieval hollow way and earthworks
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4887 8341 (163m by 306m)|
|Civil Parish||WRENTHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Sunken lane and earthworks in permanent pasture, slide taken by P M Warner (S1). Also on aerial photographs 1978 (S2).
Course of road marked on Hodskinson's Map of Suffolk, 1783.
May 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
Earthworks of a lane or trackway, visible as a bank and ditch, a possible field division, and a pond, which is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (S6) are visible on aerial photographs (S3-S5) as described above. The earthwork appears to be almost completely levelled by 2007 (S7). It is situated within Wrentham Park (WRE 019) and therefore a medieval to post medieval date for these features is probable.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 15th May 2014.
- <S1> SSF22794 (No record type): Warner P, undated.
- <M1> SSF39897 (No record type): Photograph:.
- <S2> SSF18891 (No record type): SAU, APs ALO 13 & 14.
- <M2> SSF39898 (No record type): APs: ALO 13 & 14.
- <S3> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/930 RS 4198-4199 16-OCT-1945 (EHA).
- <S4> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. SFU 16158/13-14 20-NOV-1978 (EHA).
- <S5> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service Airmap96 13 218-219 29-SEPT-1996.
- <S6> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S7> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 03-AUG-2007 ACCESSED 29-APR-2014.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2018 1:47PM