Monument record COV 058 - World War II Royal Naval Patrol Service Gunnery school, set up in the summer of 1943 east of Covehithe.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 52940 81984 (19m by 93m)|
|Civil Parish||COVEHITHE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A World War II military complex is visible in 1945 at TM 529819 (straddling the road east from Covehithe). The complex comprises an apparent observation post (probably re-using the pillbox of the old strongpoint) and a lond narrow hard-standing, however, its actual function is unclear (S1). The site has since been eroded away.
The complex was a Royal Navy Patrol Service Gunnery Training school, set up in the Summer of 1943, and was used to train RN personnel to use the various anti aircraft guns on board RN vessels. The site comprised 6-8 guns in front of a Gunnery Control Office which was able to communicate with the aircraft. The personnel were accommodated at Church Farm on the edge of Covehithe.(S2)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM