Monument record LWT 079 - Two World War II pillboxes adjacent to railway line, surrounded by barbed wire, dismantled by 1941.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 54339 96240 (134m by 118m)|
|Civil Parish||LOWESTOFT, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Two type 26 square pillboxes can be seen at TM54329624 and TM54359623 on 1940 aerial photographs (S1). They have associated linear features - possibly trenches or additonal parts of the structure. The pillboxes are situated on either side of a railway line, and each appears to be surrounded by barbed wire, which buts up to the railway line. The pillboxes can also be seen on 1941 aerial photographs (S2), but the surrounding barbed wire is no longer visible, presumably having been dismantled. The possible trench features associated with the pillboxes can just about be seen in these photos. The same can be said of 1944 photographs (S3).
Second World War square pillbox set in the East side of the railway embankment, Gunton (S4).
Second World War square pillbox set in the West side of the railway embankment, Gunton (S5).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 2/BR236 FrmsA13-A14 19-Jul-1940.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. S/423 H13 1416 Frms79-81 20-Aug-1941.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. HLA/686 Frms 3200-3201 2-Mar-1944.
- <S4> SSF53735 Index: English Heritage. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1427926.
- <S5> SSF53735 Index: English Heritage. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1427927.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 21 2022 1:29PM