Monument record FEX 127 - World War II tank trap and road block.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 32493 36438 (105m by 242m)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
A World War II tank trap consisting of anti-tank cubes and defensive scaffolding can be seen running across the golf course to the north of Felixstowe. Although the photographs are unclear, it is evident that the tank trap was at least partially constructed by July 1940. (S1) A road block, consisting of slots into which bent steel girders could be fitted, can be seen where the tank trap crosses Ferry Road. (S2) The tank trap was presumably intended to prevent enemy invasion forces advancing towards Felixstowe from the North. (S3) By 1949 only a few of the anti-tank cubes remain. (S4)
Ferry Road, Old Felixstowe, Felixstowe. Roadblock located on aerial photograph within line of anti-tank cubes. Evidence of concrete sockets in road (S5).
Ferry Road, Old Felixstowe, Felixstowe. Single line of 125+ anti-tank cubes, cutting off Felixstowe Ferry from Felixstowe. [Plotted from aerial photographs] (S6).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2/BR11/10 B5 22-JUL-1940.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. HLA/698 3081 08-APR-1944.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/LA/22 4021 06-JUL-1944.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 541/367 4033 31-OCT-1949.
- <S5> SSF54450 Digital archive: Defence of Britain Project archive. UORN: S0006080.
- <S6> SSF54450 Digital archive: Defence of Britain Project archive. UORN: S0006086.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 17 2019 1:56PM