Monument record FEX 017 - Brackenbury Barracks (Mod)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 31781 35558 (104m by 117m)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
- MILITARY BASE (Demolished in the ?1970s, Early 20th century to Late 20th century - 1901 AD? to 1980 AD? (at some time))
- BARBED WIRE OBSTRUCTION (Second World War to Mid 20th century - 1939 AD? to 1948 AD? (at some time))
- TANK TRAP (Second World War - 1940 AD? to 1945 AD? (between))
- PRACTICE TRENCH (Constructed after July 1940, Second World War - 1940 AD? to 1945 AD? (at some time))
- PILLBOX (Second World War - 1939 AD? to 1945 AD? (at some time))
A complex of camouflaged military buildings is visible just to the north of Brackenbury Battery (FEX 088) on photographs from July 1940. The particular function of the base is unclear but it is undoubtedly directly related to the battery. (S1) The site is protected by barbed wire obstructions (FEX 131) on three side and there is a small square mound to the south of the site which may be some sort of buried pillbox or bunker. Anti-tank cubes are visible running between the buildings and the battery at the other side of the road creating a tank trap and a practice trench can also be seen to the north of the site. (S2) The buildings are still visible in 1965 (S3) but the area has now been redeveloped for housing according to the modern base map.
See FEX 017 for Ro potsherd found on site.
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2/BR11/10 B4 22-JUL-1940.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106W/LA/1 4010 18-APR-1944.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4390 16-OCT-1945.
- <S4> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. MAL/65096 176 06-NOV-1965.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM