Monument record WBG 036 - Woodbridge Tide Mill (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 27729 48879 (300m by 322m)|
|Civil Parish||WOODBRIDGE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
- MILL POND (Constructed before 1828, 16th century to 19th century - 1540 AD to 1828 AD (at some time))
- TIDE MILL (Constructed before 1828, 16th century to 19th century - 1540 AD to 1828 AD (at some time))
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Constructed pre 1884, 16th century to 19th century - 1540 AD to 1884 AD)
- SEA DEFENCES? (Constructed pre 1884, 16th century to 19th century - 1540 AD to 1884 AD)
A Post Medieval (C17th) tide mill and mill pond are visible on aerial photographs, centred on TM 27744880, on the northern side of the River Deben at Woodbridge. The large mill pond is visible as a hollowed out area to the northern side of the main river channel, though one corner of the pond at its eastern end, centred on TM 27884881, appears to be embanked. The pond is of irregular shape and extends from the river bank into the channel for roughly 245m. On the landward side of the mill pond, to the west, a bank is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs, running along the western side of the pond and then continuing past the pond for roughly another 130m from TM 27614882 in the south to TM 27774904 in the north. (S1, S2) The mill and mill pond are depicted on a plan of Woodbridge town and quay, dated 1828, and the building visible on the aerial photographs at TM 27604873 is presumably the same building that is depicted as the tide mill on that plan. (S3) The bank visible to the western side of the pond is depicted on the Ordnance Survey 25" 1st edition map of circa 1884 and may be a sea bank rather than being directly related to the tide mill. (S4) By 1965 the mill pond has been altered and is in use as a marina. (S5) Listed Building, grade 1.
Also see Med.
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/832 4071-4072 23-SEP-1945.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/79 Part I 5037-5038 27-JUL-1948.
- <S3> SXS50105 Map: ?Isaac Johnson. 1828. Woodbridge Town and Quay.
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S5> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. MAL 65094 195-196 03-NOV-1965.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 18 2010 12:56PM