Monument record TYY 046 - Post Medieval seabanks in Trimley St Mary and Trimley St Martin
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 25443 35880 (1383m by 2259m)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A system of Post Medieval seabanks is visible an earthwork in Trimley St Mary and Trimley St Martin parishes on aerial photographs taken from 1944 onwards. The current seabank, as marked on the modern base map, runs along the edge of the Orwell for roughly 3.3km from TM 26783475, northwards, to TM 25533701. This seabank was constructed in the Post Medieval period as it is depicted on the 1st Edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884. (S1) A relict seabank is also visible to the east of the current seabank, running across Trimley Marshes towards Painter's Wood. The exact relationship of this bank to the modern seabank is unclear, but it runs from TM 26663583, south-west from Painter's Wood, across the marshes to TM 26203528 where it splits into two, one branch running southwards to merge with the current seabank at TM 26543485 and the other branch running in more of a westward direction to TM 25783502, where it appears that it has been truncated by the modern seabank. These seabanks are also depicted on the 1st Edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884 (S1) and although the phasing is not clear it is likely that they were constructed at an earlier date than the seabank that is still in use today. (S2) (S3) (S4)
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1707 3346-3348 29-AUG-1946.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1707 4349-4350 29-AUG-1946.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/115 5074 30-AUG-1948.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/115 5087-5088 30-AUG-148.
- <S6> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/115 5157-5158 30-AUG-1948.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM