Monument record TUN 028 - Disused Post-Medieval probable quarry pits in Tunstall parish.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 38852 56853 (112m by 102m)|
|Civil Parish||TUNSTALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A quarry or extractive pit of probable Post-Medieval date is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs from 1943 onwards, centred on circa TM38875689 (S1). Two pits are visible in this area on an early undated map on Tunstall parish (S2). Although it is undated, the map appears to predate the construction of Snape Maltings, suggesting at least an early 19th century date for the pits. That the pits may be out of use by circa 1884, and that possibly one has been infilled, may be suggested by the marking of only a single pit on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, and that with trees growing within it (S3). In addition to the 1945 photography, aerial photographs of 1965 and 1972 clearly show the single pit in its overgrown condition. However, they also reveal the ploughed out contours of a larger pit or pit extension immediately to the west, probably the remains of that seen in S1 (S4-5).
April 2009: HER number changed from TUN 024 (duplicated in error) to TUN 028.
- <S1> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. NMR US/7PH/GP/LOC132 5056-5057 30-Dec-1943.
- <S2> SXS50122 Map: Unknown. Map of Dunningworth Hall Estate, Tunstall, undated. Undated map of Tunstall.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S4> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. NMR MAL/65095 89-90 06-Nov-1965.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/72191 5-6 10-Jul-1972.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 27 2009 12:43PM