Monument record FEX 216 - Post Medieval minefield control station.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 28208 31538 (74m by 119m)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
A possible late 19th century minefield control station is visible as a number of structures on aerial photographs taken from the 1940s onwards, centred on TM 28203153 to the south of Landguard Fort, Felixstowe. The site consists of a central building at TM 28203153 and a hexagonal pillbox at TM 28203154, enclosed by both lengths of barbed wire obstruction and the coastal anti-invasion defences on their western side. The two small pits within the enclosure, located at TM 28223151 and TM 28193156 appear to be relatively recent and may be bomb craters, as may the hollow located at TM 28193160, just to the north of the enclosure. (S1) (S2) (S3) The building is identified as the minefield control station in Kent's book "The Fortifications of East Anglia", in which it is also stated that the remotely detonated minefield went out of use before World War II. (S4) However the building is apparently still important during World War II as is siginified by the barbed wire and World War II pillbox. (S5)
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106W/LA/1 3036-3037 18-APR-1944.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/22 4008-4009 06-JUL-1944.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/115 5165-5166 30-AUG-1948.
- <S4> SXS50116 Monograph: Kent, Peter. 1988. Fortifications of East Anglia. Kent, P. (1988) pp 124-125.
- <S5> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 20/12/02.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 19 2013 12:20PM