Monument record CHL 039 - Post Medieval sea defences, visible on aerial photographs.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 22743 37628 (764m by 531m)|
|Civil Parish||CHELMONDISTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Stretches of Post Medieval seabank are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs running along the southern side of the River Orwell, to the west of Colton Creek in Chelmondiston parish. The bank runs discontinuously from TM 22573736 up the western side of Colton Creek and then through the salt marsh to towards Clamp House before it terminates at TM 21993789. The bank is most likely to be of Post Medieval date and it is depicted as discontinuous on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25" map of circa 1884, suggesting that it had been abandoned by that date. Another very narrow bank is visible at the edge of the cultivated land but this has not been mapped as it has probably been caused by drain clearance. (S1) (S2) (S3)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 28 2013 10:06AM