Monument record SUE 084 - Flood defences of Post Medieval date on the eastern bank of the River Alde
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 45324 55118 (891m by 559m)|
|Civil Parish||SUDBOURNE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A length of sea bank of Post-Medieval date is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs form the 1940s onwards, centred on circa TM46025539 (S1). This section of sea bank is approximately 1600m in length and runs from circa TM45205509 near Ferry Lane, to circa TM45705483, around the very tip of Sudbourne marshes. This section of bank is not marked on a map of the Orford to Aldeburgh area of circa 1800, but is on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884. This section of bank was therefore probably built as part of the 19th century program of land reclamation and superceded an earlier section of sea bank immediatley to the south west, now recorded as SUE 057. The sea bank is clearly visible on aerial photographs of 1972 and 1989 (S4, S5).
- <S1> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US 7PH/GP/LOC132 5047 30-DEC-1943.
- <S2> SXS50119 Map: Historic Map of Sudbourne: Harwich to Lowestoft, c. 1800. Circa 1800.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. Circa 1884.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/72057 3-5 24-MAR-1972.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 4655/2 (NLA 5696/04) 20-JUL-1989.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM