Monument record SUE 086 - Post Medieval flood defences on the western bank of the River Alde at Halfway Reach
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 44327 51111 (187m by 901m)|
|Civil Parish||SUDBOURNE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Post Medieval flood defences are visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork bank, centred on circa TM44315115. The bank probably post-dates circa 1800 as it is not marked on a map of this time but is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884, thereby placing its construction in the late Post Medieval period (S1, S2). This bank is approximately 1000m long and connects two earlier, possibly later medieval lengths of sea bank to the north and south, at circa TM44185155 and TM44215066 (see SUE 085 and ORF 055 ). This extends the area of reclaimed land by an extra circa 5.5 hectares, although the newly enclosed land doesn't appear to have been ploughed until after 1955 (S3). It can be seen on aerial photographs from 1943 to 1972 (S4, S5).
- <S2> SXS50119 Map: Historic Map of Sudbourne: Harwich to Lowestoft, c. 1800. Circa 1800.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. Circa 1884.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/1674 0126-7 04-MAR-1955.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR OS/72057 16-17 24-MAR-1972.
- <S5> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US 7PH/GP/LOC132 5043-4 30-DEC-1943.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 15 2013 4:57PM