Monument record GED 033 - A section of Medieval or Post-Medieval relict sea bank, visible on aerial photographs of Chantry Marshes.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 42300 48886 (153m by 672m)|
|Civil Parish||GEDGRAVE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A relict sea bank of post-medieval or late medieval date is visible as an earthwork on Chantry Marshes on aerial photographs of 1943 onwards, centred on circa TM42304889, Gedgrave parish (S1). The original course of the bank can be seen on a map of circa 1800, continuing east and northwards for about 880 metres from circa TM42214855 to circa TM42314917 (S2). However, by circa 1800 this section of bank has already been superseded by a new section to the east (see GED 039). The construction of the now relict bank can however be pushed back to at least the early post-medieval period by a map by Norden, dated to 1601 which shows the Orford section of sea bank continuing into Gedgrave parish (S3). By 1943 photograph the southern circa 280m of bank has been greatly eroded, probably by repeated ploughing, but the remaining c.600m is visible as an earthwork. However, by 1971 this too has been mostly destroyed by agricultural activity (S4)
- <S1> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US 7PH/LOC132 5016-7 30-DEC-1943.
- <S2> SXS50130 Map: c.1800. Historic map of Sudbourne, Orford and Gedgrave Levels, c.1800.. Historic map.
- <S3> SXS50118 Map: John Norden. 1601. Orford Ness, A selection of Maps Mainly by John Norden - presented to J A Steers.. 1 inch to 1 mile. Map sheet XXII.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/71156 189-90 02-MAY-1971.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 26 2013 9:25AM