Monument record IPS 434 - World War II military site.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 17673 41685 (279m by 280m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
A World War II military site is visible on aerial photographs taken in the 1940s as a series of structures and earthworks surrounding a group of buildings in Pipers Vale, Ipswich, centred on TM 17694166. The site consists of a sub-circular barbed wire enclosure with a central hexagonal pillbox located at TM 17694166. Two stretches of barbed wire branch off the circular enclosure to the south and west. There is a gap in the enclosure to the south. Another pillbox is located at TM 17764160, where a track that runs through the barbed wire enclosure meets Gainsborough Lane. To the west of the buildings, close to the river, another hexagonal pillbox is visible at TM 17554166, 10m to the south of another structure which may be a gun emplacement. There are a number of zigzag slit trenches on the site, two of which, located at TM 17644171 and TM 17624167, may be the remains of air raid shelters. The function of the site is unclear. (S1,S2) By 1955 the military features that were associated with the group of buildings are no longer visible. (S3)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 22 2017 12:04PM