Monument record BOT 031 - Prisoner of War Camp 56
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0565 7648 (513m by 325m)|
|Civil Parish||BOTESDALE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
The site of a Second World War prisoner of war camp at Botesdale, known as Camp 56. This was a purpose-built, standard type camp. Common buildings and facilities at standard type camps included water towers, offices, officer's mess, a canteen, guard rooms, barrack huts, ablution blocks, cell blocks, a camp reception station (medical facility/hospital), a cookhouse, dining rooms, recreation rooms and living huts or tents. Camp 56 functioned as a German work camp where prisoners were sent to work as labourers on local farms. It could have been in use up until 1948. The camp has since been demolished and only the water tower remains (S1).
- <S1> SSF53735 Index: English Heritage. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1472457.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 23 2015 11:49AM