Monument record IKL 026 - Mitchell's Hill (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7775 7229 (101m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Beaker, ? excavated from Mitchell's Hill round barrow, circa 1881, by Henry Prigg (R1). Location marked on map in (S1). Barrow destroyed by quarrying circa 1874-1890 (S2). Original dimensions not stated.
Beaker illustrated in (S1)(S3)(S4). Classified by Clarke as N3 beaker (S4)(S5). Presumably same as "drinking cup in Bury St Edmunds Museum" (S6).
Also small nick-decorated quoit-headed pin (probably MBA) and small incised ribbon bracelet (also recorded as MBA by Rowlands 1976) both said to be from Mitchells Hill (Edwardson 1968, Rowlands 1976 & Pendleton 1999).
A small quoit-headed pin and an incised ribbon bracelet are also said to come from Mittchells Hill (S7-S9) suggesting a possible hoard.
The small quoit-headed pin is a MBA type (Pendleton in prep). Bracelet now recognised as a Roman type and excluded from BA HER entry (february 2004).
Also Pal, Rom & Sax.
- <S1> SSF16573 Monograph: Prigg, H.. 1901. Icklingham Papers: A Sketch of its Early History. Prigg H, Icklingham Papers, 1901, Woodbridge plate, map.
- <M1> SSF37146 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <R1> SSF9969 (No record type): J Brit Archaeol Assoc, 37, 1881, 154.
- <S2> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. 68.
- <R2> SSF6587 (No record type): Fox C, The Archaeol of the Cambridge Region, 1923, 322.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 11, 1901, 59, plate.
- <S4> SSF3557 (No record type): Clarke D L, Beaker Pottery of GB & Ire, 1970, 497, fig 635.
- <S5> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE38.
- <S6> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 276.
- <S7> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Edwards A R, BA Metalwork in Moyses Hall Museum, 1968.
- <S8> SSF17816 Bibliographic reference: Rowlands M J. 1976. The Organisation of MBA metalworking. Rowlands M J, The Org of MBA Metalworking from NE Anglia, BAR 279, 1999, 163.
- <S9> SSF50120 Bibliographic reference: BAR. British Archaeological Report. Pendleton C F, BA Metalwork from Northern East Anglia, BAR 279, 1999, 163.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 5 2015 10:48AM