Monument record BSE 061 - Haberden; Haberdon (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8620 6345 (357m by 286m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
"In a district called Haberdon, to the SE of the town and E of Southgate Street, the only remaining earthwork defences of Bury lie in a field. An escarpment facing SE by S is 14 ft in depth, with a fosse having a counterscarp of 6 ft; the outer scarp is 5 ft 8 ins and is a very gentle slope. Branching from the fosse and facing due S is another entrenchment with a scarp of 2 ft 4 ins and a counterscarp of 1 ft 6 ins, with an outer bank 1 ft high. Towards the E it has been mutilated by field drainage and to the N by digging for gravel" (S1).
Earthworks also shown on Warren's 1776 map of Bury (S2) and on the OS 1:500 map of 1886 (S3).
Apart from main scarp rest levelled, probably during construction of rugby/sports field pre 1963, and later. Possibly links to Southgate (BSE 064) to SW and to No Man's Meadows earthwork (BSE 173) to E/NE.
For human remains, see BSE 160.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 6 2016 12:34PM