Poorly Located Find Spot record IKL 307 - Findspot of a Roman pewter hoard, including 3 flat round dishes or plates and a square dish
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 78 74 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Pewter hoard "exhibited by Mr Acton" consisting "of one large, and two very small flat round dishes or plates; two deeper round dishes, and one square dish; one amphora, two standing dishes with octagonal borders and a little pan". "Found at Icklingham in the month of April, 1839, on heath land, which workmen were trenching for the purpose of floating ... about 18 inches from the surface, and it appeared as if they were committed to the ground i great haste. He (Mr John Gwilt)(in letter dated 3.5.1840) adds, that while searching the spot he found two small Roman coins of the second brass, the inscriptions nearly defaced?" (S1)(S2)(R1). Purchased by BM in 1844 (S2)(S4)(R2). "A funnel-shaped vessel of bronze" may also come from this location (S2) - see IKL Misc Rom.
Basil Brown archive gives date of find as 1835 per C W Phillips 18-3-1949 (S3).
A ? further pewter hoard found in 1852/3? was purchased by the BM (with 4 more vessels in IPSMG) - see IKL Misc Rom (CRN 10393).
For other hoards containing pewter from Icklingham, see IKL 019 & 023.
Formerly recorded as IKL MISC
- <R1> SSF16634 (No record type): Proc Soc Antiq (ser 2), 4, 430.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1).
- <S1> SSF674 (No record type): Archaeol, 29, 389 (letter from J G Rokewode, 4.6.1840).
- <R2> SSF22908 (No record type): Way, 1870, 426-430.
- <M2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk 1. 309, 310.
- <S3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVI, 72.
- <S4> SSF22957 (No record type): West S E & Plouviez J, `The Romano-Brit site at Icklingham', EAA, 3, 1976, 63.
- <S5> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77NE9, 1976.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 8:35AM