Monument record RSM 001 - Mill Mount; Castle Mound
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3986 8375 (25m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||REDISHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
`Mill Mount, SW of the village ... is a small circular mount 9 feet in height, with a slight depression in the middle of the summit. It is surrounded by a fosse with a counterscarp now measuring 4 feet at its highest point, and a breadth of 10 feet at its broadest part; but both height and width have been badly trodden by cattle' (S1).
Probably a mill mount, very small, not much of a mound, overgrown (S2). Near Redisham/Westhall parish boundary. Reported to have been flattened by the farmer 1983 (S3).
Named `Mill Mount' and marked as `Castle Mound' on OS map (S4) and named `Mill Mount' on Tithe Apportionment of 1842 (S5).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM38SE1.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 593.
- <S2> SSF18201 (No record type): SAU (West S E), 1971.
- <S3> SSF18047 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), undated.
- <S4> SSF12614 (No record type): OS, 1:10560 map, circa 1958.
- <S5> SSF17522 Map: 1840. Redisham Tithe Map. Redisham Tithe, SRO (Ipswich), FDA 200/A1/1.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 22 2010 3:14PM