Monument record GRU 008 - Grundisburgh Hall and park (formerly Sigers or Seagers)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2227 4990 (865m by 788m)|
|Civil Parish||GRUNDISBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Grundisburgh Hall. Built 1593 [? - see below] but much altered since. Stands within Grundisburgh Park, home of Gurdon family (S1). Listed, along with stable block.
Pevsner states "of circa 1500, though externally partly early C19 and partly recent neo-Tudor. Only the three gables on the early C19 front betray that something earlier lies behind pre-reformation hall inside" (S2).
Formerly a more modest house known as Sigers als. Wergen Hall. Inherited by Edmund Bedingfield from his grandmother then sold by him in 1474. Bought by SirJohn Wingfield. Turned into a 'gentleman's residence' in 1620s by William Blois (IIIrd). Name changed from Sigers/Seagers to Grundisburgh Hall circa 1761. Parts were demiolished in 1969 (see Listing schedule)(S4).
In 1553 listed as house and 260 acres of land. Various owners increased estate until much sold in the seventeenth century. Hodskinson 1783 map does not show park which was probably created between 1796-1820 by owner, B.G. Dillingham. For park and garden details see (S4). Note a 'mount' is recorded in the 17th century. HBSMR mapping after tithe and later maps (S4). Apart from the construction of a large reservoir SE of the Hall much of the park appears to be intact and in good condition (on map evidence). See also (R1).
For Med(?) field system earthworks within Park see GRU 038.
- <S1> SSF19887 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, site report, GRU 008, May 1989.
- <R1> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, 1975 ed, 242.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 18, 1923, (2), 157.
- <S4> SSF23224 (No record type): Taigel A, Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk: Grundisburgh Hall, April 1994.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 15 2018 1:08PM