Monument record SBC 016 - Ring Ditches & Ritual Structure S of Chapel Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7317 4301 (17m by 16m)|
|Civil Parish||STOKE-BY-CLARE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
AP of ring ditch circa 25m diameter (S1)(S3). S of ring ditches SBC 004, 005 & 006. Not noted in scheduling information (S2) but appears to be partially within scheduled area. Around the monument are an array of cut features, possibly sunken featured buildings or quarry pits - see SBC 035.
1990s (?): site deep-ploughed by owner, (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), according to English Heritage (Ian Millar) (S4).
Now (2008) under Farm Management plan and reverted to grass (Will Fletcher).
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, APs TL 7243/5/173 & TL 7343/10/18, July 1979 & June 1983.
- <M1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. APs: NMR TL 7243/5/173, TL 7343/10/18; ECC 170/11,12,14,15.
- <M2> SSF39509 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex CC, AP 170/11,12,14,15, 1989.
- <S4> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. McMasters I, to C Pendleton (SCCAS), July 2008.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 6 2021 1:54PM