Monument record THE 006 - Evergreen Oak
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0102 7842 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||THELNETHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Stone cross - base & base of shaft. ?Moved from fields to present location in orchard of coverted pub ("Evergreen Oak") (S1).
B Brown states "(Traditional) This cross was moved to present site from Cross Green" (S2). The site of the cross is in fact on part of the former area of Cross Green (S3).
John Cole of Thelnetham, in his will of 1527, requested "I will have a new crosse made accordinge to Trappettes Crosse at the Hawelanesende and sett upp at Short Groves ende, where the gospell ys sayde upon Ascencension Even, for which I assigne Xs' (S4). Shortgrove Lane now runs from Hopton village to a junction with Gypsy Lane in Thelnetham and then along the parish boundary to Weathercock Farm. Cole owned land in `Longsake' Furlong adjacent to `Ratons Lane', which now seems to be called Gypsy Lane. It is likely that his cross was erected at the high point near the junction of Shortgrove and Gypsy Lane (and the former Market Lane) at TM 0008 7790 (S5).
See also THE 018.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NW3.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, map.
- <S1> SSF5218 (No record type): DOE (HHR), Thingoe Suff, April 1951, 62.
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCIV, 13; XCVII, 7; map 21.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: photocopy of (S4).
- <S3> SSF22094 (No record type): Thelnetham Inclosure award 1821, SRO (B) Q/R1.35.
- <S4> SSF22287 (No record type): Tymms S, Wills from the Commissary Court of Bury, 1850, 118.
- <S5> SSF19403 Source Unchecked: Martin E. 1995. SAU, Martin E, 1995.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 21 2021 10:06AM