Monument record CAM 019 - Cavenham Heath; Tuddenham Airfield
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 753 727 (1462m by 828m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||CAVENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||TUDDENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Second World War anti-glider ditches on Cavenham Heath, three running E-W circa 170m apart with line running approximately N-S at E end of above. Consisting of central ditches with small mounds running parallel on either side about 10m apart (S1)(S2)(S3). Still visible from ground in November 1989. Note description by Lady Grace Briscoe on June 14, 1945 (S4).
On north side of 2WW 'Tuddenham' airfield - see TDD 019.
Anti Landing trench and spoil heaps. Visible on Google earth 1945 imagery and still extant today (S5).
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: AFX 21; CUCAP PS 70.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP PS 70, June 1955.
- <S2> SSF18429 (No record type): SAU, AP AFX 21, 7 July 1977.
- <M2> SSF44993 (No record type): G Briscoe archive: (S4).
- <S3> SSF21090 (No record type): SCC, AP, 1:10000 vertical cover, 35,86,013,014, 29 June 1986 & 28, 86, 196-198, 15 June 1986.
- <S4> SSF1544 (No record type): Briscoe Lady G, Suffolk Diary, 1945 entry.
- <S5> SSF54446 Digital archive: June 2012. List of sites recorded by Pillbox Study Group. Site ID: e27875 - e27879.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 2 2012 5:43PM