Monument record CUL 020 - Icehouse; Culford Park; Culford School

Please read our .


A post medieval Icehouse formerly serving Culford Hall has been recorded from the Tithe map (S1). An earthwork mound with a hollow in the centre possibly relating to the former Ice House can be seen on visualised lidar data. The icehouse would have been situated within Icehouse plantation (S1) and was thought to have been demolished circa 1960.


Grid reference Centred TL 8318 7088 (50m by 50m)
Map sheet TL87SW


Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Icehouse, situated in Icehouse Plantation on Tithe map (S1). Top demolished with explosives (on second attempt), circa 1960, according to Chris Roberts of Feltwell (former pupil at Culford School)(S2). Formerly serving Culford Hall (CUL 021). Icehouse door mentioned in deed of exchange of land including Icehouse Field dated July 1, 1715, between Charles Lord Cornwallis & Charles Carter (S3). Shown on 1959 1:10560 map at cited grid reference.
Said to be built of local grey culford brick from nearby brickworks, beehive-shaped and 80% below ground level. There were steps c.3ft wide around the inside wall. The height above the ground was about 10ft, with c. 40ft below. It was used for strage of fish, and meat, including venison. The source of ice was the lake in the park (S5)(R1).
For Culford Park- see CUL 022.

November 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
A probable post medieval mound with a hollow in the centre is seen as an earthwork on visualised lidar data (S6). The mound and the hollow most likely relate to the demolished post medieval Icehouse discussed above and mapped on the Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Maps (S7) . The mound is in close proximity to Culford hall (CUL 021) to the south.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 29th November 2019.

Sources/Archives (8)

  • <S1> Map: 1839/40. Culford Tithe Map. Culford Tithe map, 1839, Suff Rec Off (Bury).
  • <R1> Source Unchecked: Long, E. and Bracewell, R. C.. 1981. ?.
  • <S2> (No record type): Roberts C, 1989.
  • <S3> (No record type): Culford, Deed of exchange, SRO (Bury), FL 557/3/3, July 1, 1715.
  • <S4> (No record type): OS, 1:10560 map, TL 87 SW. 1959.
  • <S5> Monograph: Beamon, S. P. and Roaf, S.. 1990. The Ice-Houses of Britain. p. 397.
  • <S6> Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. LIDAR TL8370 Environment Agency 2m DTM 18-APR-2019.
  • <S7> Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Mar 9 2020 11:03AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.