Monument record CUL 020 - Icehouse; Culford Park; Culford School
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8318 7088 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||CULFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Icehouse, situated in Icehouse Plantation on Tithe map (S1). Top demolished with explosives (on second attempt), circa 1960, according to Chris Roberts of Feltwell (former pupil at Culford School)(S2). Formerly serving Culford Hall (CUL 021). Icehouse door mentioned in deed of exchange of land including Icehouse Field dated July 1, 1715, between Charles Lord Cornwallis & Charles Carter (S3). Shown on 1959 1:10560 map at cited grid reference.
Said to be built of local grey culford brick from nearby brickworks, beehive-shaped and 80% below ground level. There were steps c.3ft wide around the inside wall. The height above the ground was about 10ft, with c. 40ft below. It was used for strage of fish, and meat, including venison. The source of ice was the lake in the park (S5)(R1).
For Culford Park- see CUL 022.
November 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
A probable post medieval mound with a hollow in the centre is seen as an earthwork on visualised lidar data (S6). The mound and the hollow most likely relate to the demolished post medieval Icehouse discussed above and mapped on the Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Maps (S7) . The mound is in close proximity to Culford hall (CUL 021) to the south.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 29th November 2019.
- <S1> SSF4796 Map: 1839/40. Culford Tithe Map. Culford Tithe map, 1839, Suff Rec Off (Bury).
- <R1> SSF58557 Source Unchecked: Long, E. and Bracewell, R. C.. 1981. ?.
- <S2> SSF17652 (No record type): Roberts C, 1989.
- <S3> SSF4799 (No record type): Culford, Deed of exchange, SRO (Bury), FL 557/3/3, July 1, 1715.
- <S4> SSF12634 (No record type): OS, 1:10560 map, TL 87 SW. 1959.
- <S5> SSF1171 Monograph: Beamon, S. P. and Roaf, S.. 1990. The Ice-Houses of Britain. p. 397.
- <S6> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. LIDAR TL8370 Environment Agency 2m DTM 18-APR-2019.
- <S7> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2020 11:03AM