Monument record OTY 002 - Various scheduled cropmarks S of castle motte including part of ? curvilinear enclosure
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2030 5447 (322m by 354m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||OTLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Various cropmarks S of castle motte (see Med), include part of ? curvilinear enclosure (S1). ? Same as area of finds including `various mediaeval implements, horse furniture and jewellery' (S2). OS map records this area S of motte as `Bailey (site of)' and lists finds as "earthenware, spearhead, links of chains, coins, keys, buckles etc found" (S3)(S4)(R1). Possibly connected to EMed motte?
Further ? rectilinear enclosure immediately NE of motte (S4)(S5).
Features visible on Lidar. See associated files.
- <R1> SSF12906 (No record type): OS, 6 inch map, 1928.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP (St Joseph) HN 80.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: ADG 1; CUCAP HN 80.
- <M2> SSF39610 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 602-603, ill.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM25SW2.
- <S4> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S5> SSF18379 (No record type): SAU, AP ADG 1, July 1976.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2020 10:54AM