Monument record GLL 003 - Glemham Park; Stratford St Andrew
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3471 5939 (1495m by 1535m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LITTLE GLEMHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
An estate in Little Glemham was held by the Glemham family by the early C15. A park here is mentioned in a c.1560 list of Suffolk parks (S1). Little Glemham estate records mention a park here in 1591/2, 1592 and 1598, belonging to Sir Henry Glemham (S2). Deer mentioned in 1598. Estate was sold to Dudley North in 1708 and there is a map of park done for him by J Halsey in 1720 (S3). This shows three straight tree-lined avenues aligned on the south, north and west sides of the Hall. It also shows the two rectangular ponds near the west entrance to the park, the now-vanished moated site (see GLL 020) and the pond to the east of the Hall.
Humphry Repton visited in 1791 and produced a Red Book for Dudley Long North, who had inherited the estate from his aunt in 1789 (S1).
Map of park by Isaac Johnson 1826 (S4).
1885 Park of 376a with a herd of 100 head of `pure bred Old English black deer' (S5). Estate sold 1923 to Cobbold family.
At the south end of the park adjacent to the small moated site (GLL 004) there are traces of road flanked by old oak pollards, possibly an old road to the church engulfed by the park. It is shown as a track on the OS 1st edition map of 1883 (6in scale). Churchyard projects slightly into the park and may have had more houses associated with it. House to south of churchyard was the parsonage. Cottages to the west are post 1883.
For confusion about gas works in the park - see GLG 014.
2000: Included in Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest (Grade II). Details in (S6). Area defined on HER map amended after (S6).
- <S1> SSF10578 (No record type): Little Glemham Park, report by A Taigel & T Williamson, UEA for SCC, c.1990.
- <R1> SSF12905 (No record type): OS, 6 inch map, 1905.
- <M1> SSF46650 (No record type): Parks: copy of (S1)(S6).
- <S2> SSF21897 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich, HA49/B1/1, HA49/F1/7, HA49/F1/5.
- <R2> SSF23224 (No record type): Williamson Dr T, Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: tracing of part of (S3).
- <S3> SSF21902 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich, HD1000/1.
- <S4> SSF21903 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich, HD1000/4.
- <S4> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Hoppitt R, 'Deer Parks, 1086-c1600', 1999, 66-67.
- <S5> SSF23114 (No record type): White's Directory of Suffolk, 1885.
- <S6> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. EH, Register of Parks & Gardens of Special Historic Interest, May 1999, map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 10 2010 4:27PM